Europa League: Sevilla reigns supreme

Yassine Bounou héros de la finale
Europa League: Sevilla reigns supreme

Sevilla have won their 7th Europa League title. In the final, the Andalusians beat AS Roma on penalties, thanks in particular to a save from Moroccan goalkeeper Yassine Bounou.

Sevilla are consolidating their dominance of the Europa League. On Wednesday 31 May, the Andalusian club clinched the seventh title in their history in this competition. Youssef En-Nesyri's team-mates overcame AS Roma in a thriller. They won on penalties (4-1) after a 1-1 draw in extra time.

The final lived up to all its promises. There was no time for observation in this match. The two teams went at each other blow for blow. The Italians dominated the early stages. And the first big chance of the match fell to Roma. Celik found Spinazzola in the penalty area. The Turkish full-back shot first time but Bounou made a decisive save (12'). It was only a matter of time before the Italians opened the scoring with their second chance. After Cristante had collected the ball in midfield, Mancini set up Dybala, who fired past Bounou. The Roma fans were ecstatic.

But Sevilla were not to be denied. Ivan Rakitic sent in a first-time shot but the post saved Portuguese goalkeeper Rui Patricio late in the first half. The score remained level. Rome led at the break (1-0).

Spanish second half
Sevilla were back in the game and showed a completely different side. In fact, the Andalusians clearly dominated the second half. They attacked their opponents' box more and more. And they were rewarded. Gianluca Mancini scored an own goal from a perfectly distilled cross by Jesus Navas. The Andalusians equalised! (55e). Completely disorientated by Sevilla's attacks, AS Roma were content to defend. The Italians were shown 5 yellow cards. Sevilla even thought they had a penalty. Lucas Ocampos was brought down in the area. English referee Anthony Taylor pointed to the spot. However, he reversed his decision after looking at VAR.

Despite chances on both sides, both teams were forced into extra time. The first 30 minutes were rather timid, with the players showing signs of fatigue. As a result, the two teams were unable to find a winner. It came down to the fateful penalty shoot-out. And it was FC who came out on top, thanks in particular to two saves from Moroccan goalkeeper Yassine Bounou. 4-1 was the final score.

SNA tells you more!

No recommendation
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram